Friday, January 10, 2014

Shadow Play Photo Challenge

After delving into my archives to find photos for last month's challenge, I had the best of intentions for this month. You know: intending to look for great shots on purpose. And then it was time to post already! I can offer the holidays and a death in the family in the way of excuses for not working at this assignment, but I still could have done better. Oh, well, there's always next month!

Despite my lack of effort, I do have two shots to offer. Recently I posted several photos of a simple white pitcher, some of which are all the better for the shadows they contain:



A few days ago I was photographing a neighbor's sheep and llamas and got this interesting shadow shot, totally by accident. I didn't notice the shadow of the llama's head until I looked at the photos on the computer. Pretty cool!



There you have it - my humble offering for the Shadow Play challenge. Many thanks to Donna for organizing the Personal Photo Challenge each month. You can see more great photos by clicking on the links at this site:

17 comments:

  1. Oh, the head of the llama is just amazing. I love to look at photos when I get home and discover something neat like that. Great photos for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent photos...I love the last one, what a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful still life in black and white. As soon as I saw the sheep I thought it looked like the shadow of a llama but wondered how that could be possible. Good catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need to make excuses. These photos are exceptional and very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure you could have captured that sheep/llama image if you had tried. What a fun surprise. Your still life is lovely -- so simple and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole tone and feeling of the pitcher. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Serene" is the first word that came to mind for your first picture. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo of the pitcher is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so hoping that you would showcase one of your photos of the white pitcher and dramatic lighting! And I'm glad to see that it is a black and white to emphasize the contrast. This is a perfect example of embracing the shadows. There is a shadow side to the pitcher, the long shadow cast on the table, and the shadow of the windowpane. It is a simple composition, but it has a LOT going on!

    And the silhouette shadow of the llama on the sheep is a hoot! Great timing and eye to get that one.

    I think you licked this challenge without any problem at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's like an extra gift to pick up something like that in a photo. Very cool! I loved your white pitcher and shadow shot. Very artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful shadow photos. I love the shadow of the llamas head on the sheep. Your profile pic is also a good shadow photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a moment Nancy when you saw the Llama's shadow on the sheep - a revelation!!! LOL
    The white jug image is beautiful - wonderful shadow play and it seems there was a magical light that day!
    Your blog header has great shadows in the flower too!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are absolutely perfect for this challenge. I love them both but especially the simplicity and charm of the first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is most definitely a cool shot of the llama shadow on the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just joined in the photo challenge and I'm checking out all of the links. Beautifully done! I also paint and that first one would make a perfect still life. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how Neat!! You could say the second shadow looked like a wolf's head!!Hahaa
    Wonderful photos!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun to find that llama head shadow. A little bit of serendipity. The pitcher composition is so strong. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!