Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Whopper

Our chickens have been laying really well lately.


Today they did especially well, considering the snowy weather. We got 16 regular eggs and one whoopper!


I don't have a clue why one of our hens laid this huge egg.


It stands head and shoulders above the other eggs, which are nothing to sneeze at themselves.


A typical day's egg crop includes eggs that range in size from really small to fairly large, but today's big one is unusual. I think it must have had a difficult entrance into the world!


Here's today's smallest, the largest of the regular eggs, and the whopper.


It was fun to weigh them. The littlest one weighed 1.5 ounces.


The brown one weighed 2.5 ounces.




The giant one tipped the scales at 4.0 ounces!!




I've written about eggs before, and I still enjoy them. They're one of the farm's gifts that are both beautiful and useful. And we get new ones every day! Speaking of which, anyone need some eggs?


4 comments:

  1. Ow, I bet that one hurt! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to meet your hens--such productive girls!

    So good to see you at Lisa and Jim's store. We found a good deal of treasures: lots of stamps and ink pads, fabric for making cloth napkins, and Sophie bought Lisa's old doll house, full of miniature pieces of furniture, wool rugs, animals and other intricate trinkets.

    We read about Mr. Vance's passing before we left for Highland County. It must be hard, especially for Robin. I hope you two, and Aunt Beanie, move through this period with peace in your hearts.

    I understand that Mr. Vance was an exceptional person. He must have lived a very full life, positively influencing many in your family. I think about the way that Robin tells stories, and both your and Robin's attention to detail. It should go without saying that we receive most of our gifts from our ancestors, and if we are gifted with a full life, unique talents, and the ability to give back to others, someone set the mold for us early on.

    Ruth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy
    Thank you for popping into my blog!
    That egg is huge - in baking terms it is 2 and a bit eggs!!! What a marvellous hen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I must say, that one's a doozy! Wonder how many yolks it will have. My hens just resumed their laying and I finally have enough to fill almost all my orders, although I still would like to see about 12-14 more a day. Aren't hens fun?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your time and hope you found a blessing at This Sweet Life!